Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Country Music Marathon 2009

Tom and I decided that we were going to run Nashville's Country Music Marathon this year and then we found out that there were quite a few others that were going to be running it as well. So, we joined/formed a running club on base that would meet very early every Saturday to put in many miles and then would reward ourselves with an awesome breakfast afterwards. I know that's what pushed many of us.

A few people in the group are some of our closest friends, so we had the best time. I was never one to run with a group. I like to run on my own, but I had the best time with Heather & Heather. We ran the half marathon and the guys ran the full marathon. Heather Laing, on the left, had just given a kidney to her son 3 months prior to the race. Heather Baldwin, on the right, was 4 months pregnant at the race. So, it was even more awesome that they were doing this.


April 25, 2009, 6AM prior to the race


Can you see the bags under our eyes?? Neither of us were able to sleep the night before. Tom wasn't even sure at that point, with his knee injury and no sleep, if he would be able to complete the full marathon.

This marathon was a bit harder than they had advertised. I probably wouldn't do it again, simply because of all of the hills. I don't do hills. :) We thought there would be a few, but it seemed like every other mile involved a hill. In addition to that, it was much warmer than preferred for running


I have to admit that out of the three of us, I was the one whining in the last 3 miles. I just knew we were done with all of the hills and then there would be another one. After we ran 10 miles, I was not going to stop and walk to the end. I kept thinking about the ladies I was running with and realized I had NO EXCUSE. So, we pushed through and this next picture caused pure joy.

When we finished, we were given goodies and drinks to recover and then went to our meeting place to wait for the guys to finish. I was so hoping that Tom wouldn't push his leg to do the full marathon and that he would just do the half. But, as my gut told me and as anyone else that knows Tom would know, he of course finished the entire 26.2 miles with an injury and no sleep. I was walking along the marathon finish line and was able to see him cross the finish. AMAZING! Of course, he didn't feel amazing, but I was so proud of him for the pain he endured to finish the race.


Tom finished in 4 hrs and 11 min, with an injury, which is faster than my regular marathon time. Kelly finished in 3 hrs and 28 min. Congrats guys!

We finished the half marathon together in 2 hrs and 47 min.

Good job everyone! We had the time of our lives. Thank you for the great runs, chats, breakfast, and most of all the friendship. We will never forget it. When is the next race?